Follow our networks!
You are here > Home > Carlow > Carlow Museums

Carlow Museums

Why not visit one of Carlow's wonderful museums during your stay at the Talbot Hotel Carlow?

Carlow County Museum

Carlow_County_Museum SmallCarlow County Museum brings to life the story of Carlow’s development through the ages. Among the displays are exhibitions dealing with John Tyndall, Carlow’s prolific 19th century scientist whose discoveries still have an impact today, Captain Myles Kehoe from the 7th US Calvery and was killed at the Battle of the Little Big Horn along with General Custer, the beautifully carved wooden pulpit from Carlow Cathedral and Carlow’s Sugar Factory; Ireland’s first and largest sugar factory.
It is a good representative collection of the county, containing many interesting objects some of which are of national and international importance.
www.carlowcountymuseum.com

Carlow County Military Museum

A fine museum housed in a late 19th century church. The COUNTY-CARLOW-MILITARY-MAINmuseum features a wide range of exhibits relating to Carlow's military history. Artifacts date from the late 18th century to present day and detail the history of the Irish Army, local Reserve Defence Forces, UN Peacekeeping, Carlow Militia, World War 1, War of Independence and much more. Other features focus on Carlow soldiers in armies throughout the world among with armoured vehicle production in Carlow during World War II. One of the museum's main displays features the uniforms of the Irish Defence Forces while another feature of the museum is the reconstruction of a World War 1 trench.
www.carlowmilitarymuseum.webs.com

Bishop Daniel Delany Museum

During the early years of the 19th century the then Bishop of Kildare & Leighlin, Daniel Delany saw education as a pathway to a fuller and better life for all. In 1807 to progress his vision he founded a congregation of sisters, the Brigidine Sisters, named in honour of St. Brigid, the patroness of the diocese. A year later in 1808 he founded the Patrician Brothers, named in honour of the patron saint of Ireland, St. Patrick.
In 2008 this museum was opened in Tullow Town in which both Congregations were founded. The main focus of the museum is a display of artefacts relating to Bishop Daniel Delany and to the work of the Sisters and Brothers.
www.carlowtourism.com/bishop-daniel-delany-museum

St. Mary's Church of IrelandSt Marys Church Carlow

St. Mary's Church of Ireland in Carlow Town are now conducting guided tours on the following days:
Each Wednesday 10am - 2.30pm
Each Friday & Saturday 10am - 4pm

Access to the Church is possible via either the main gate or through the Community House, which is a bungalow directly opposite Carlow Town Hall in Haymarket. Guided tours are free of charge but voluntary contributions are welcome. St. Mary's Church of Ireland dates from the early 18th century although the spire was added in 1834 during extensive renovations by Thomas Cobden, the noted church architect.
www.stmaryschurchcarlow.com

Please Click Here for Information on Talbot Hotel Carlow Special Offers.

Talbot Hotel Carlow, Portlaoise Road, Carlow Tel: +353 59 915 3000 Fax: +353 59 915 3001 Email: sales@talbothotelcarlow.ie Reservations: reservations@talbothotelcarlow.ie